Patients with diabetes may be at risk of developing nerve damage (diabetic peripheral neuropathy)1. In most cases symptoms are only experienced later during disease progression.1
1. Huizinga M, Peltier A. Painful Diabetic Neuropathy: A Management-Centered Review. Clinical Diabetes 2007;25(1):6-15.
2. Miranda-Massari JR, Gonzalez MJ, Jimenez FJ, Allende-vigo MZ, Duconge J. Metabolic Correction in the Management of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improving Clinical Results Beyond Symptom Control. Curr Clin Pharmacol 2011;6(4):260-273.
3. Mayo Clinic. Diabetic Neuropathy. [online] [cited 2019 Nov 13]. Available from: URL: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-neuropathy/symptoms-causes/syc-20371580?p=1.
4. Wilding J. The importance of weight management in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Clin Pract 2014;68(6):682-691.
5. Papanas N, Ziegler D. Risk Factors and Comorbidities in Diabetic Neuropathy: An Update 2015. Rev Diab Stud 2015;12(1-2):48-62.
6. Brutsaert E. Complications of Diabetes Mellitus. Merck Manual Consumer Version [online] [cited 2019 June 25]. Available from URL: https://www.msdmanuals.com/home/hormonal-and-metabolic-disorders/diabetes-mellitus-dm-and-disorders-of-blood-sugar-metabolism/complications-of-diabetes-mellitus?query=Complications%20of%20Diabetes%20Mellitus.
7. Adaikalakoteswari A, Rabbani N, Waspadji S, Tjokroprawiro A, Kariadi SHKS, Adam JMF, et al. Disturbance of B-vitamin status in people with type 2 diabetes in Indonesia – Link to renal status, glycemic control and vascular inflammation. Diab Res Clin Prac 2012;95:415-424.
8. Schellack G, Harirari P, Schellack N. B-complex vitamin deficiency and supplementation. S Afr Pharm J 2015;82(4):28-32.
9. Calderon-Ospina CA, Nava-Mesa MO. B Vitamins in the nervous system: Current knowledge of the biochemical modes of action and synergies of thiamine, pyridoxine, and cobalamin. CNS Neurosci Ther 2019;00:1-9.
For more information, please speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
You are about to leave the Neurobion® South African website and will be redirected to an external website. Would you like to leave?